FACULTY DIRECTOR, HARVARD MACY INSTITUTE
Reporting directly to the Senior Associate Dean for Postgraduate Medical Education in the HMS Office for External Education, the Faculty Director of the Harvard Macy Institute (HMI) serves as the leader of all HMI programs and activities. The Faculty Director works with HMI course faculty and HMS External Education staff to build on the remarkable programs and reputation of HMI by designing and delivering world-class innovative faculty development programs and inspire a community of health care educators worldwide.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Time commitment expected to be minimum FTE 0.3, but will be determined during the application and interview process, with core activities including the following:
• Contribute to and enhance existing HMI core programs in conjunction with HMI course directors and faculty both as visionary leader and course faculty member with direct learner contact
• Set and implement the future vision for additional HMI activities in new and additional areas of faculty development programming
• Collaborate with other existing HMS faculty development efforts across Program in Medical Education, Program in Graduate Education and Office for External Education.
• Recruit, oversee, and mentor HMI course directors and faculty
• Maintain, energize, and grow the alumni community of HMI programs worldwide
• Represent HMI programs at national meetings and other health care education conferences.
Qualifications & Attributes:
• Candidate must possess an M.D. or other doctoral degree, be an active member of the HMS faculty, and hold the academic title of Assistant Professor or higher
• 10-15 years teaching experience; 10 years active teaching experience at HMS and active teaching experience within HMI programs preferred
• Able to dedicate sufficient time to Faculty Director position
• Experience working on program development and evaluation, with a track record of academic publication in this arena strongly preferred
• Insights into the mindset, experiences, and conflicts facing clinicians worldwide pursuing careers as health care educators
• Track record of innovation in program development and project leadership
• Familiarity with the faculty development programs across HMS (including PME, PGE and OEE), with collaborative approach to optimizing HMI’s synergy with these programs
• Commitment to supporting the values of Harvard Medical School, including support for all members of a diverse learner community.
Length of Service:
• 3-year renewable term
• Position and performance reviewed annually by the Senior Associate Dean for Postgraduate Medical Education
• Determined by FTE percentage based on the uniform faculty teaching compensation model
Harvard Medical School is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We are actively committed to increasing the diversity of our faculty. Women and members of underrepresented minority groups are therefore strongly encouraged to apply.